« VV Show #42 - Simon Daniel of USBcell | Main | VV Show #43 - Fred Seibert of Frederator Studios and Next New Networks »

David Sacks Launches Geni

Past Venture Voice guest David O. Sacks launched Geni today, as TechCrunch reports, which aims to be the ultimate family tree.

Many have tried in this area before, none have achieved dominance. I've tried about 5 of these types of services in the past (including one from Joe Kraus's Jot) and none have caught on with my family no matter how many e-mails I've sent out.

Geni's got one of the fastest registrations I've ever seen, so I couldn't resist pestering my family members yet again. As I've said before, never bet against a PayPal alum. Let's hope that, as Valleywag eloquently put it in reference to his Hollywood venture, David Sacks has another "disgustingly successful foray".

Posted by Greg Galant on Jan 16, 2007 | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack (0)

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Geni looks great.

I predict that this will be a huge success.

Posted by: anthropocentric at January 17, 2007 2:25 PM

Hi Greg,

Do you like to give www.zooof.com a try! Just give me a mail.

JP

Posted by: JP at January 19, 2007 5:40 AM

Genealogy, I am doing!
We have read posts related to genealogy on your blog and have just launched family based social network- Kincafe. We would like you to particpate in beta release of Kincafe and provide feedback.
Thanks
amy

Posted by: amy at March 22, 2007 1:18 AM

Geni is good one.

I have come across a website called kincafe, is really good.

Kincafe.com {connect. bond. cherish.} , a web 2.0 social network for families that captures updates from one's family & friends, allows the building and linking of family trees and simplifies the sharing of family treasures like; photo albums, stories, birthdays, anniversaries, interests, news and blogs.

Powerful features include:

1. Family tree based navigation. Members use their own family tree to get to albums and blogs of a connected family member at anytime. You don't have to preserve the album links sent in numerous emails.

2. Collaborate with your family to build family tree together, with ability to control who can modify which profiles.

3. Secure – Users control security of their information. Can choose different sharing levels within the network for DOB, contact information, last name, albums etc.

4. Kincafe digs the latest albums and stories from the network and presents right upon login.

5. Drag and drop based Album creation.
6. HTML and Ajax based UI. No flash.

Please get in touch with andy@kincafe.com for any help

Posted by: natasha at March 22, 2007 6:00 AM

neither geni nor kincafe qualify for my blog or to be recommended or to be taken seriously

because they neither publish an office address nor the names of the owners

so you have no come back with a better business bureau
typical newbie mistakes in the web - or criminals ?

they both use a cheap domain registration service and do not appear in whois as legit sites

Web 2.0 is a load of nonsense just a markaeting concept
I have been social netwoking for more than 10 years and was late starter

social netwoking started in the 1980ies
if you go back into deja-google you will see the beginnings between university computer departments

genealogy or family history or pedigree goes back to biblical old testament times

gaps in records means no genuine trees can ever go back so far

most families have one individual who takes care of the trees as a serious hobby
or many live in the present and could not care less

rootsweb remains the best freebie

More than 460 million names on file