« How to Build a Business on Amazon's Back | Main | Meetup Fee »

Not-So-Well-Balanced Entrepreneur

One of the common themes we notice in the people we interview is that they don't lead very well-balanced lives. We recently received an e-mail from a past guest saying "I am working 100+ hours a week again." Unfortunately this symptom isn't alien to us either. So we were excited to read Inc Magazine's proposed solution: hiring a life coach.

Think spending $400 to $1,200 per month on a coach (the amount Inc cites from the International Coach Federation) would decrease or increase your stress?

It's an interesting topic. We're going to try to find a well-balanced entrepreneur (if such a thing exists) to interview, and hear how it's done.

Posted by Greg Galant on May 17, 2006 | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack (0)

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

It sure sounds steep to me, but I've heard many people recommend it. Some VCs require it of their portfolio CEOs.

Posted by: AdamD at May 18, 2006 1:15 AM

You need to be passionate about something else besides the business, and do it every day too. Like practicing a musical instrument with the goal of becoming a better musician.

I find that rising early and forcing yourself to stop what you're doing at about 5pm and spending 1/2 an hour jotting down where to pick up the next morning is effective.

You need to come to terms with the fact that there will always be more work to do, and accept it.

Posted by: Yong Bakos at May 18, 2006 10:45 AM

As a coach, I have worked with entrepreneurs and business owners to build their businesses and they achieve great results. Imagine having someone on your side, 100% for you, being an accurate reflection for you.

The business owner knows what is needed, but might lack the confidence to do it. Working with a coach lets him get to what the real problem is.

I practice integrative coaching which works with the whole person. So at the end of the relationship, the person has met his goal and integrated the quality or belief that was keeping him from reaching the goal...thus all areas of life are easier, not just the business.

It works! The integrtion is a lasting shift in perception.

Posted by: Sharon at May 22, 2006 3:15 AM

I don't think it's a difficult thing to be well balanced when you own your own business and are working on a few different project at an given time. It helps me to use a calendar and set reminders. But even then life is hectic and the schedule changes constantly.

Posted by: David Neawedde at May 23, 2006 5:31 PM

Greg, life-work balance is an extremely interesting topic and one I've talked about a little on my blog. I have yet to cohere some unified "theory" around this, but I hope to soon. I think it's absolutely essential and should be talked about more.

Posted by: Ben Casnocha at June 15, 2006 1:24 AM