VV Show #2 - Dick Costolo of FeedBurner (part 2 of 2)
Sick of potential investors not taking your phone calls? Pitch a venture capitalist on his iPod. Dick Costolo of FeedBurner tells us how his CTO did just that in the second and final part of our conversation. (Be sure to check out the first half too if you haven't already).
0:35 Team building
- Costoto: We don't hire people who say, 'Hey look, I was senior VP of biz dev over at XYZ Corp, I don't make coffee.'
1:25 How FeedBurner communicates internally
2:40 Communicating with investors
- 'You can't over-communicate.'
3:15 Customer support
- 'When people come in and interview for a VP job, we say everybody here does customer support.'
- Employees doing customer support must check Technorati to see what's being said about FeedBurner.
- 'When you're working 80, 90 hours a week, it's very hard to go read somebody's post who says Dick Costolo's a jerk and FeedBurner stinks and these guys are idiots.'
- Mentions Technorati CEO David Sifry's responsiveness to what bloggers say about his service.
9:35 No blog policy (or vacation policy) for employees
11:25 Making money by blogging and podcasting
- 'I think that blogs will provide a number of ways for people to make money.'
- Jason Calacanis at Weblogs, Inc. has a business that makes money by blogging.
- 'I went to a conference a couple weeks ago and someone said, 'How are we going to make money from podcasting?' I started laughing and said, 'Man, people have only been doing this since October.''
13:20 Reading and listening habits
- Subscribes to 60 or 70 blogs.
- Listens to podcasts when encouraged to on ad hoc basis.
14:30 iPod pitches to venture capitalists
- FeedBurner CTO Eric Lunt sent a pitch to Fred Wilson of Union Square Ventures.
- Groupcasts are made by tagging MP3s in del.icio.us and then processing them with FeedBurner's SmartCast feature.
- David Hornik of August Capital has done the same thing.
17:15 Business plan vs. elevator pitch podcast
- Elevator pitch podcasts (an audio pitch for a business idea that is delivered directly onto an iPod) offer 'quick attention, you're gonna get to these guys [venture capitalists] when you've got their undivided attention.'
17:50 FeedBurner's growth opportunities
- 'The biggest threat to our company right now is us screwing it up.'
20:30 Web 2.0 or bubble 2.0
- 'I don't think it's getting to be bubbly already.'
22:00 Process for picking new business ideas
27:20 Costolo's elevator pitch for using FeedBurner
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference VV Show #2 - Dick Costolo of FeedBurner (part 2 of 2):
» I Don't Get Podcasting - Yet from Feld Thoughts
I’ve been trying to figure out how to invest in Podcasting. I have a bunch of exposure to it via my investments in FeedBurner and NewsGator (hint – coming soon – maybe even this week). However, I don’t listen to Podc... [Read More]
Tracked on June 20, 2005 12:07 PM
» Podcast your elevator pitch from EntreWorld Weblog
I met David Hornick of August Capital on Monday night at a cocktail party. I was surprised to learn that he has been blogging for two years now and has a wealth of posts on Entrepreneurship, Venture Capital and other interesting subjects. He encou... [Read More]
Tracked on October 18, 2005 1:02 PM
Nice job, and great show! Good pick of Dick, he's a star.
Posted by: David Sifry at June 20, 2005 2:58 AM
Great show. I am your new biggest fan. Your questions are solid, and the responses from Dick were entertaining as well as inspiring. I've gone through this show twice now before moving onto the next. Keep it up.
Posted by: Mike at September 22, 2005 12:31 PM