VV Show #1 - Dick Costolo of FeedBurner (part 1 of 2)
Dick Costolo of FeedBurner joins us for our first show. FeedBurner provides services for publishers of RSS (Really Simple Syndication). RSS is an interface that allows users to access data from blogs, traditional media, podcasts and other sources in the way they want to view it. Dick's service is widely used and well funded.
1:25 FeedBurner is company number four for Dick
2:45 Got interested in RSS
- “Despite the fact that a lot of people still don’t know what the heck it [RSS] is, subscriber growth for the early adopters is really going crazy.”
7:30 Exciting new areas in RSS technology
- “You’re going to see a lot more specialized RSS clients.”
9:00 Bloggers as investors
9:55 Blog vs. business plan
- “I would absolutely say that a blog is better than a business plan.”
11:15 Raising the first round of capital
- “A lot of people that we were talking to, at least, didn’t know how to spell RSS.”
12:45 The FeedBurner Founding Fathers
- "This is the first startup I haven't programmed in, much to the delight of the rest of the founders."
14:00 Life at the executive
- “You’re never more productive then when you’re in that first, small, let’s get stuff done and get stuff out, office.”
16:35 Phone answering and delegation
- "The hardest thing for me to delegate, as we grow, is the process of delegating."
19:05 Entrepreneurs as CEOs
21:25 Focus for serial entrepreneurs
- "I don't think I've ever been more obsessive or focused on the thing I was doing at the time then right now."
24:10 Chicago blues
- “We talked to several VCs when we were doing our A round that said ‘Really like the idea…hate that you’re in Chicago.’”
The next show (part 2 of this interview) will discuss team building, how to pitch a venture capitalist through his iPod and the biggest threat to FeedBurner. To be notified of our next show, add us to your RSS or podcast client, or enter your e-mail address in the box at the top right hand side.
Please send in your critiques, complements and suggestions.
Posted by Greg at June 15, 2005 03:16 PM
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference VV Show #1 - Dick Costolo of FeedBurner (part 1 of 2):
» I Don't Get Podcasting - Yet from Feld Thoughts
I’ve been trying to figure out how to invest in Podcasting. I have a bunch of exposure to it via my investments in FeedBurner and NewsGator (hint – coming soon – maybe even this week). However, I don’t listen to Podc... [Read More]
Tracked on June 20, 2005 12:07 PM